Good afternoon my little pancake stacks! Anyone notice that I went missing yesterday? Well, I “unplugged” for the day and went out to enjoy the fresh (and hot…and humid…and…I’m not complaining, I swear) air! I hope you’ve all gotten the chance to relax this weekend and maybe indulge in a little vitamin D absorption!
So today, I have something a little different for Pancake Sunday…
who’s up for some cornmeal pancakes?!
I don’t know about you guys, but I am a texture freak! I love combining textures and finding surprise bites in my food so I thought I’d have a little fun with this recipe and add a little “extra” in the texture department! I also decided to make them vegan AND gluten-free for all my bloggy buddies out there who are dairy or gluten “challenged”! ;)
Vegan Cornmeal Pancakes: (serves 1)
Inspired by this recipe in Runner’s World Magazine
- 1/2 flax egg (1/2 tablespoon ground flax + 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/8 cup brown rice flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup creamed corn
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used soy) + 1 teaspoon vinegar = “buttermilk”
- sweetener if desired (I omitted since I knew I wanted sweet toppings)
1. Combine flax and water in a small bowl and allow to set.
2.Pre-heat non-stick skillet to medium heat.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and stir to break up any lumps.
4. Stir the corn, “buttermilk”, and flax egg together.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
6. Coat skillet with non-stick spray and scoop batter out by 1/4 cupfuls.
7. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side or until lightly brown on top and bottom.
*whole wheat flour works too for those of you who do not have a gluten preference.
Top as desired, but I highly recommend butter (non-dairy of course for my vegan friends) and maple syrup…simple and delicious!
Anyone tried the Honey Vanilla Bean flavor of Voskos?
Now, I said sweet OR savory, right? Don’t worry, I wouldn’t dare leave you hanging on this one!
These babies were so good, I HAD to find a way to incorporate them into my lunch as well! I used the same recipe as above, but I threw in a little bit of Mrs. Dash crack and BAM!…savory corncakes!
I used about 1/2 teaspoon of Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning, but you could add just about anything you have in your spice cabinet…chili powder, smoked paprika, or maybe even some turmeric for a fun twist!
After the photo sesh, I also added 1/4 of an (very ripe and un-photogenic) avocado and some nutritional yeast to the previous topping of freshly diced tomato…it was absolutely perfect!!
I found this at the farmer’s market yesterday.
Ingredients: Green tomatoes, cabbage, corn, green beans, pinto beans, cauliflower, sweet peppers, celery, jalapenos, sugar, vinegar, salt, spice, turmeric, citric acid
Could they fit any more deliciousness into one jar?!
I think I’m in love!
Ok, I seriously can’t think of a question right now, so tell me what your favorite color is!
Mine is GREEN…are you surprised?