After a midnight binge of leftover Dough Ball fail last night, I woke up this morning with a bit of an uneasy tummy and a sudden distaste for cookies. For the past week, I’ve gone back and forth between holiday eating and normal eating and now I feel like I’m finally back on track! Hello, my name is Heather and I have been cookie free for 1 day! 😉
Cheesy Black Bean Enchiladas: (serves 2)
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced (I used a jar of roasted peps)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 tsp. taco seasoning
- Ms. Dash Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning (LOVE)
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
1. Saute onions and peppers until tender.
2. Stir in beans and shredded cheese and heat until cooked through. Season with taco seasoning and Ms. Dash .
3. Whisk all ingredients for sauce in a small bowl. Feel free to add more or less seasoning to taste.
3. Pour half of the homemade enchilada sauce into a small baking dish.
4. Spoon half of the filling into each tortilla, roll up, and place in baking dish. Roll enchiladas in the sauce filling bottom of pan until entire outside of tortillas are coated.
5. Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese.
6. Place baking dish in a 350 degree oven and bake until cheese is melted and tortillas are crispy (15-20 minutes).
7. Top with sour cream, salsa, and/or avocado if desired though I thought they were perfectly tasty in the nude! 😉
* This meal was prepared in under 30 minutes! *
To be totally honest, before whipping up this new recipe, I’ve only ever made ground beef/turkey enchiladas. I’ve never attempted a vegetarian version of my recipe. I can tell you right now, I did not miss the meat in any way! The flavors came out cheesy and smoky with a hint of spice (again feel free to kick it up a bit in the spice department if you like).
I usually use the canned red sauce for my enchiladas, but I realized halfway into the recipe I was all out and had to improvise. This homemade version is a great money saver and healthier alternative (a LOT less sodium). I love being able to control the amount of spice and salt that goes into condiments and sauces and since this was SO EASY to mix up, I doubt I’ll be purchasing the canned stuff again!
I served up my Cheesy Black Bean Enchilada with a nice green salad of spinach, green beans, red peppers, and sweet corn.
Well, the Netflix fairy came by the house this afternoon, so I’m off to my date with Emma Stone in Easy A! So excited! I’ve been wanting to see this for months! See ya!
Mmmm, I’d have to make these with Daiya, but otherwise they sound PERFECT! Love love LOVE me some enchiladas!
I actually almost used some Daiya to make them completely veg, but I already had the “nacho” cheddar cheese open from Christmas Day brunch.
I have been wanting to see Easy A too. Love the enchiladas!
It was really good and I totally drooled over Penn Badgley the whole time!
Oooh these enchiladas look super duper tasty! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
I love black beans! I need to try these enchiladas, for sure!
Black bean and cheese enchiladas are my favorite! I can’t stand store bought sauces (for some reason the ones i’ve tried all taste like metal and salt to me!) so your homemade versions would be PERFECT for me! yum
I freaking lovee enchiladas! I can’t ever get enough of them is the problem!
What are scottish oats!? They look super good. Like the texture looks good and soft!
I’m going to post about Scottish oats soon. Basically, they are just steel-cut oats grinded down. Cooks in less time and has a much creamier texture than steel-cut!
I love enchiladas. I love black beans. I love quick and easy dinners. This is going on my dinner list!
Awesome! Definitely adding to my recipe repetoire!
YUMMMMY freaking YUMMM! I always buy enchilada sauce, good to know this one is so easy to make, I’ll try it next time I need sauce, thanks!
Pingback: Feelin’ Cheesy | kissmybroccoli
Pingback: The World is My Oat-ster! | kissmybroccoli
mmm! that enchilada looks SO good! I’ve been searching to find a good meatless enchilada recipe for ages but none of them have really popped out at me.. tthis one might just be it!
You should definitely give it a try! It was super simple to make and oh so delish!
Totally making this the next time my husband goes out of town on business! I love quick, tasty dishes that don’t have tons of leftovers when it’s just little old moi here.