Merry Christmas one and all!
Hope you have all had an amazing holiday!
Since I was a bit of a skeptic, as I woke up this morning, I threw back the curtain at my parent’s house to see if we actually got our “White Tennessee Christmas.”
We went to bed a bit late last night, but I still managed to wake up early (must be the whole “I’m not sleeping in my own bed” thing). I didn’t want to disturb my family of normal sleepers, so I made a cup of coffee and caught up on some blog reading. A couple of hours later, they began to stir and the vote was unanimous for breakfast first/presents later! My former child would have smacked me in the face if she could’ve witnessed this!
I donned an apron and got to work on my crustless quiche as mom prepped the fruit for her ginormous fruit salad!
Easy Peasy Crustless Quiche-y: (serves 4)
- 12 slices thick center-cut bacon
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium portobella mushroom, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- grape tomatoes to garnish on top
- Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning blend to taste
1. Fry up bacon in a large skillet and crumble into little pieces. Set aside
2. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and saute fresh chopped veggies until tender. Season to taste.
3. Pour veggies in a 9 inch oven-proof casserole and top with shredded cheese and bacon crumbles.
4. Whisk the eggs and milk in a separate bowl and pour over contents and garnish with halved grape tomatoes. Sprinkle with more seasoning if desired.
5. Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes*
*You know it’s done when the outer edges are stiffened up and the center is just a bit jiggly. It will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven and the center will set.
Janine’s Christmas Fruit Salad:
- 3 Gala Apples
- 2 Oranges
- 3 Tangerines
- 1 Red Grapefruit
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Mango
- 1 Pineapple
- 2 Starfruit
- 1 Fresh coconut
This was my dad’s first time trying mango and starfruit. He didn’t notice the mango until we told him (he said it was ok), but we couldn’t persuade him on the starfruit! Oh well, more for the rest of us! 😉
After gift opening, we all got ready and headed over to my grandmother’s house for Christmas linner (lunch/dinner) or should it be lupper (lunch/supper)??
My grandmother went all out this year! We had turkey AND ham, dressing, green beans, mac ‘n cheese, sweet potato souffle, deviled eggs, and slaw and potato salad! You think we had our starches covered? I was so stuffed!
I got a kick out of this one! I take it this is the great great grandfather to our well known Heinz 57??
I’ve had a great Christmas! Couldn’t have asked for more than to spend the day with my family joking, eating, and catching up on each other’s lives. It has been at least 2 years since I’ve seen my grandmother!
The rest of my night will be spent sipping on some ginger tea to soothe this poor Christmas Day food baby…definitely not going to be hungry for a WHILE!
I’m going to attempt to catch some good after Christmas sales tomorrow! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a sweet deal on a new Christmas tree!
Anyone else going to fight the masses with me tomorrow?