Good evening everybody!
Has anyone else noticed that kissmybroccoli seems to be on a serious foodie trip across the globe? I didn’t until yesterday!
Totally unplanned, but what the heck, I know I’m enjoying it! I decided that dinner tonight should represent another country we hadn’t “been to” yet. Hmm, how about Italy?
Farfalle with Brussels with Creamy Bacon Sauce: (serves 1)
2 ounces farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
4 ounces Brussel sprouts, ends cut and halved
2 strips center-cut bacon, cut into pieces
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup stock of choice (I used homemade turkey stock)
1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, finely grated
1 tsp cornstarch
- Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- Steam Brussel sprouts in a small pot covered with an inch of water in bottom.
(I think next time, I may sear them in the pan with the onions for more flavor)
- Cook bacon pieces over medium heat until crispy, set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in bacon grease over medium heat until nicely browned.
- Add stock and cheese to onions and garlic, reserving some of the cheese for topping.
- Add cornstarch to mixture and allow to thicken.
- Place Brussels into sauce after a couple of minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve topped with the bacon pieces and reserved cheese.
It fascinates me how there are so many ways to interpret ingredients in different parts of the world! As of right now, I haven’t traveled my OWN country near enough, but one of my biggest dreams is to one day take a real “trip around the world” and experience the cultures, histories, and dishes firsthand. Until then, I will have to settle for mini-trips taken in my kitchen!
Stay tuned! The trip’s not over yet, in the morning we’re going to GERMANY!